During the emergency shutdown, I will be posting resources, strategies and activities to my Counselor's Corner on a regular basis to help support our students and families during this unique time. Please feel free to contact me via email Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM - 3:30 PM with any questions or concerns. For 24-hour crisis phone triage, crisis assessment, brief treatment and access to all mental health services offered by NorthKey Community Care, please call (859) 331-3292 (main number) or (859) 331-1792 (TDD/TYY). If you need immediate attention, then please call 911.
Social distancing and virtual learning are new to most of us, so let's continue to stick together, stay calm, and ensure our students are receiving the care and support they need to grow in an ever-changing world!
Please let Mrs. Embry know how your students are doing!
COVID-19 Resources for Parents & Families
Parent Resource for COVID-19: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-H3tYUrkzxUZW42x43OLVrinx9a7jhyQ/view?usp=sharing
CDC - Keeping Your Home Safe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13T5jqDPBg0zzebpoR8mf7R-izwpB7JyQ/view?usp=sharing
10 Ways to Cope with a Disaster: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PZKhWcKtXV8grsPkSgUJieWd9by5XKbS/view?usp=sharing
Taking Care of Your Family's Mental Health During COVID-19: https://blog.cincinnatichildrens.org/child-development-and-behavior/taking-care-of-our-mental-health-during-covid-19
Tips for Social-Emotional Growth at Home
- Keep a daily routine
- This makes for easier transition when students return to school
- Put the Screens Away- Go Out and Play!
- Time outdoors increases attention spans, creativity and overall health!
- Give Kids Opportunities to Use Their Imagination
- Boost their creativity and imagine the possibilities!
- Encourage Them to Do Something for Others
- Build a sense of purpose and confidence by helping others
- Praise Your Child’s Positive Choices
- “Caught being Good” helps shape better behavior
- Find Ways to Do Activities as a Family
- Make some memories and have fun!
Online Educational Resources
Teaching Tips for Parents: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IQAEOnkr1moCxzRC-D5tv8bRjH7UGhs5/view?usp=sharing
Parent Guide to Resilience: https://resilienceguide.org/
7 Websites with FREE Online Books for Kids: https://www.online-tech-tips.com/cool-websites/7-websites-with-free-online-books-for-kids/
Feelings Games: https://pbskids.org/games/feelings/
GoNoodle - Engage your students with movement and mindfulness videos: https://www.gonoodle.com/
XELLO - Career exploration tool available to students through their Clever account (Directions on logging into Clever):
- Go to https://www.campbellcountyschools.org/ (Google Chrome works best)
- Select the Parents/Students tab at the top of the page
- Select Technology Resources
- Select Clever
- Select Log in with Office 360
- Sign in using email@example.com
- Enter Password: lunchcodeccs
The Character Tree - Teach your students about positive character traits while also teaching them about prominent figures, past and present. Please email me for supplemental resources!
Week of 3/19/20: Kindness and Jane Goodall Video - https://charactertree.com/main/home-viewing/kindness-jane-goodall/
Week of 3/23/20: Curiosity and George Washington Carver Video - https://charactertree.com/main/home-viewing/curiosity-george-washington-carver/
Week of 3/30/20: Perseverance and Martin Luther King, Jr. Video - https://charactertree.com/main/home-viewing/perseverance-martin-luther-king-jr/
Daily/Weekly Activities for Students
What Can I Do Today?: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17dDl8nevhRdexxl8ucaVVvptSyDvlI7F/view?usp=sharing
Indoor Games & Activities: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VKR1Fu7zcikAlQ1HwiRvtGKCeWm9ucvg/view?usp=sharing
Daily Stress Less Activity by Sunny Present (#stresslesscards can be found on Amazon) -
THANK YOURSELF FOR BEING
- Behind all of your doing is you - independent of your gains, goals and everything you do. The true you will show when you give up doing for a while.
- Close your eyes and thank yourself for being able to just be. Even if it feels hard not to do anything, just sit there and thank yourself for being. Thank yourself for being so much more than you can prove by doing and saying stuff to others.
- Gratefulness helps us to be in the present moment, positively. When you experience the here and now, it reduces stress
Take good care!!
Mrs. Rian Embry, NCC