Megan VonHandorf | Families in Transition/Homeless Coordinator
Campbell County Schools
101 Orchard Lane | Alexandria, KY 41001
Phone: 859-635-2173 Ext. 1804 | Fax: 859-448-2439
EDUCATIONAL RIGHTS FOR HOMELESS YOUTH (McKINNEY-VENTO ACT) CAMPBELL COUNTY SCHOOLS
- The act provides a broad mandate for all school districts to remove barriers to school enrollment and retention by revising policies and practices.
- Students can remain in their school of origin ("school of origin" means the school a child attended when permanently housed or in which he/she was last enrolled).
- Students must receive transportation to their school of origin.
- Students have a right to immediate enrollment, even if they don't have all of their paperwork - for example, medical/health records, proof of residency, former school records, immunization records.
- Students have a right to access to all of the school's programs and services on the same basis as all other students, including special education, migrant education, vocational education, school nutrition programs (school breakfast and lunch), and extracurriculars.
- Students and their families have access to a dispute resolution process through the Kentucky Department of Education when they disagree with a school about how the McKinney-Vento Act applies in their situation.
For further information contact:
Campbell County Schools Homeless Liaison/District Contact
Megan Vonhandorf, Campbell Connection Coordinator